Thursday 28 April 2011

Bude to Hartland Quay to Clovelly and Barnstaple 46 miles

Decided to split the Bude to Clovelly day into two as it's the hardest part of the whole walk with over 2400metres of climbing up and down the coastline. And it's really hot down here, which is no fun with a big pack on your back! Campsite at Hartland Quay is very basic - hope there's a shop at Clovelly tomorrow, finding food for Sal is difficult. I think we might have to have a day off soon as Sal is worryingly tired tonight; she fell asleep on her feet today.
Too many tourists at Tintagel, but no sign of King Arthur. As the pub was a mile away from the campsite I tried a nearby tea room - yum yum - pasties with a side of gravy and meat, then cream scones and fruit cake (Sal likes fruit cake) all finished off with a big mug of tea (if you'd walked as far as I have today you'd be drooling over it too).
I met a lovely couple from Bawtry today who have insisted I ring them when I get up to Yorkshire so they can come and meet me and to ring them if I need anything in the area - some folk are just fab! And some look at me as though I'm a tramp - I might look a bit dirty....
Having said that Sal is very tired when she wakes up in the morning it's "Oh goody, off again!"

We've walked 23 miles to Barnstaple now. Have been on the go for 12 hours. Both a bit whacked. It wasn't pleasant walking through Barnstaple either. We had a pastie and a cup of tea near Bideford (in a tea room in an old railway carriage on an old railway line track we were walking on) - got a free scone and cream too!
Sal has got used to the tent and stands near the entrance when she wants me to let her in so she can go to sleep!
I left her in the tent to go for a wash and a shower; two seconds later she came tearing down the field after me. She's being very good.
I met a man who was walking the South West Coastal Path the opposite way to me today and he asked if it was as bad as it says up to Bude. "Oh yes," I said "and worse!" He said he's done a lot of walking in Scotland and this coastline is harder - I agree with him.
We're going to have a rest day tomorrow; Good luck to Stuart in his rowing on Saturday from Newark to Nottingham for Wish upon a Star charity and hope Scunny win too! YNRA Stu!

No comments:

Post a Comment