Thursday 12 May 2011

3 days 60 miles

Knighton, Shrops. to Penkridge, Staffs.
Easier walking now, just noticed my walking shoes are getting a bit worn - new pair soon please Dianne! I thought it would take at least two pairs to do this walk (and carrying a heavy pack wears them quicker).  Camped on a site at the back of a power station last night, a nice couple in a caravan made me tea and toast for breakfast (who said there's anything wrong with caravans?). I walked in relentless rain on Monday - oh joy! I could see the storm coming and ran into a church porch to shelter for a good twenty minutes (looking for divine intervention). It was raining heavily when I finished and put up my tent, I sat listening to Liverpool v Fulham on the radio as the rain battered my tent. I wonder if King Kenny would sponsor me?
The day before I stopped on the front lawn of a farm house and got tea and toast again. At Ironbridge I took pictures of the bridge and old ironwork buildings, then I carried on into a wood thick with briars and undergrowth - a nightmare to walk through, came out near a golf course, which I was pleased to see for once. A man pottering in his garden in the next village made me a cup of tea and gave me a donation; some folk are lovely :o).
Anyway, next stop was a pub B&B with a bed and a bath for a treat tonight! My tent was draped around the room to dry out and I had a pub meal. O-oh - had a dodgy belly next morning...
Next night much better - another farmhouse front lawn, cuppa soup for tea and more money donated - thank you to everyone who's donated, it really does make a difference.
Hhhm - must confess I got a bit lost in Cannock Chase (an ancient woodland) and had to use my GPS to find out where I was. Where's a policeman when you need one? Oh there they are - looking for horseriders who've had an accident.
I then walked along a couple of canals and got chatting to a man who lives on a narrow boat - I want to live on one! But I do get a bit sea sick on water :o(
Today I'm walking from Staffs into Derbyshire and I'll have done about 471 miles (that's over one third done!!!)
James is still there with me keeping me going when it gets a bit tough - INWA!

2 comments:

  1. Hi Andy, Brian Duerden here. Met up, or rather andy was passing me, just past Howden Dam heading north Me to The Pack Horse Bridge (just up from 'Slippery Stones' Andy on his way to Hebden Bridge. Thanks for the company and chat Andy, really good to meet you. good luck with the rest of the trek...You are a superstar! If you are around Keswick between 21-26 May buz me {07713547944) perhaps grab a pint. Kind regards, Brian

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Andy, keep it going mate, impressive progress mate. have a word with the secratary to keep the blog up to date, she keeps going off walking with some nutter walking the length of the country.

    Andy T

    ReplyDelete