Sunday 22 May 2011

Storms on the Pennines

Made good progress through Derbyshire and into Yorkshire. Met a man on a canal who showed me round his boat - I want to live on a canal boat! Followed the Staffordshire Way for a while and then on to the Pennine Way and more familiar territory (I walked the Pennine Way a few years ago).
Stuart and Joanne, James' mum and dad, met me on Sunday 15 May on the Pennines off the M62. Stuart picked the worst weather of my walk so far to walk with me. As Jo said "it's raining sideways". The wind was wicked and the rain was wet; we got soaked through to our undies :o(
Jo waited for us in Hebden Bridge. A nice lazy afternoon for her - until the police knocked on her window and woke her up to find out what she was up to! There had been a number of burglaries in the area she was parked in and they thought she might be the getaway vehicle!
I was due to meet my wife the next night but as I was having a problem with my shins Stu and Jo kindly took me up to Askrigg in the Yorkshire Dales and I had a couple of days off to fix it. Many thanks to Jo and Stu for your support there :o) I was ready for the rest.
Dianne then took me back to Hebden Bridge on Wednesday and I set off again. Guess what? It was wet rain again! I camped that night and packed up my soaking wet tent next morning.
I've camped on quite a few farm front lawns in the last couple of weeks. None more friendly than a couple I met in the Derbyshire Dales who live in a modest barn with no electricity or drinking water. They have sheep (for wool), goats (for milk) and chickens (for eggs), all with names; they gave me a cooked breakfast to send me on my way too. Maybe I'll live in a barn instead of a narrow boat. There was one not so friendly who said 'we don't want your sort here' and shut his door in my face (OK I do look a bit like a vagabond after a few days in my tent)
I met Dianne and her dad again in Horton in Ribblesdale and said bye bye to them on Friday morning as I set off with my friend, John Stenton (who does the Long Distance Walkers' 25, 50 and 100 milers with me), for Hawes. A much better day, cloudy but bright and we reached the Youth Hostel at Hawes in an easy day. Went for a pint or two and a bar meal. I'm now HALF WAY to John O'Groats (done 612 miles at Hawes)
It's back to 'Billy no mates' on Saturday as I set off over Shunner Fell and Kisdon Hill to Keld. Then beyond there to Tan Hill, the highest pub in England (and the bleakest and windiest and wettest - again!!) OMG - It got so bad during the night that I packed my rucksack at 2.30am ready to abandon my tent before it blew away - I really thought it was going to take off with me in it! Today I'm heading for Middleton - in - Teesdale and a youth hostel just beyond in Baldersdale to dry everything out (please let them have room for me). It's very, very windy.
Here's a few more pictures:
Offa's Dyke

Crossing from England into Wales

Lord Hereford's Knob, near Hay on Wye

Getting powered up!

My dream home..(Keep dreaming - Di)

Ironbridge

Now where have I seen that face before?

Storm brewing

More wet stuff ahead

Somewhere over the rainbow.....is John O'Groats...

This is a real heron Rachael

Top Withins (Wuthering Heights)

Stoodley Pike - well done Stu it was the worst weather day ever

Malham Cove - can you spot the falcons?

Pen Y Ghent and Ingleborough

Ready for a mug of tea at the Pen y Ghent cafe - who are these two dogs?

And who's this funny fella?

Ready for off, from Horton to Hawes HALFWAY!!!!

No comments:

Post a Comment