Monday 30 May 2011

Northumberland to the borders of Scotland

I stopped at Landsale Beck Youth Hostel in County Durham. Arrived at Alston Youth Hostel in the North Pennines 23 May. It's been raining darts all day, the wind is so strong. The drying room of the Youth Hostel is full of tents drying. That's a great advantage of Youth Hostels; thank goodness I joined the association again before this walk it's been great when it's really wet. I've lost my compass so I'm waiting for the shop in Alston to open to get a new one before I continue. I've walked for a few days with three 'lads' (about my age) who are doing the Pennine Way. Tomorrow I'll finish in Northumberland and if all goes to plan I'll be in Scotland Thursday or Friday.

And it did go to plan - from Alston to Twice Brewed (yes, that is a place), next day to Bellingham (familiar territory here) then on to Byrness and into Scotland. And only about 400 miles to go....

I have to send a huge apology to Buster and Sue because I'd forgotten I was supposed to meet them near Hebden (Sue was over there for her dad's birthday). They went to the campsite as arranged and found a small tent camped and shouted at me to come out. A voice said "It's not Roberts and I'm not coming out!" And then at Alston I met a man called Paul who was in his tent near Hebden when someone shouted at him....oops!...he thought it was rather funny!

My shins are playing up again so I might have a rest (Bellingham) as it's a good camp site (the same one I stayed on when I did the Pennine Way a few years ago.

I've met some guys doing the Pennine Way - Alistair has been keeping me company today. We've not seen anyone else all day. Alistair has carried on further than me as he wants to finish the PW by the weekend and go home. Paul (who met Buster and Sue) has done walking and climbing all over the world. And Michael just goes at his own pace; he's into yoga and meditation and goes around the world where he likes. There's two lads from Barnsley cycling around and just happen to have a car full of beers that we're all enjoying this evening. Better not have too many!

Only did 15 miles today. Stopped in Wark forest for a break and started seeing signs for a tearoom in the middle of the forest. It was a shed on a farm set up with a kettle and chocolate biscuits, tea bags and coffee. There was a price list and an honesty box, comfy seats and a visitors' book. It was very nice.

30 May in the borders of Scotland - lashing with rain again this morning. Windy but dry in the afternoon. Stunning views. A sort of bigger scale Yorkshire Dales (walking at about 2000ft). Rachael and Jack have been up to camp with me; it was great to see them and they brought me clean undies (I do wash them out - ok too much detail).

And best of luck to my mate John Stenton who should have completed the annual LDWA 100 miles in 48 hours challenge by now :o)

Lots of fundraising coming in - thank you all very, very much. Rachael did a bucket collection at the Winterton Fake Festival and got £45 - thank you everyone who donated there. And thanks to everyone who donated in the bucket at Metres to Miles shop in Epworth too.

That's all for now - must keep walking, and walking and walking...

No comments:

Post a Comment