Friday 3 June 2011

Traquair to Loch Lomond

I'm in Southern Scotland and heading across to the West Highland Way, which I'll follow to Fort William. Tonight I'm alongside Loch Lomond at a very busy campsite - oh joy, there's people planning a boozy party nearby - maybe I'll give them a shout when I leave about six in the morning - hee hee!! I need to get off early because it's hot and the midges come out in the afternoon. The West Highland Way is very busy. It's very different from previous days when I've not seen a soul (much prefer).
A few days ago I did a 27 mile day and actually did more than that because I went up the wrong hill (500ft) and had to come back and rejoin the right way. And where the walk was thickly wooded parts of the rights of way have been diverted because of fallen trees (during the windy weather last week) so it was a bit difficult as there were no paths. I got well and truly flummoxed.
There are wind farms everywhere you look and power stations on the Clyde visible from my walk. And I put my washing on a wooden fence and got a shock because there was an electric fence attached to it on the other side - ouch! - a lady from the riding school nearby came to see if I was OK; after she'd finished laughing!!
Walking all day is now 'normal' , I'm sleeping well, tired but happy :o)
Plodding along the Union Canal for a whole day; the Kilmarnock Wheel for lifting the boats uphill is amazing, but the long dark tunnel I had to walk through was spooky. I reached the West Highland Way on 1 June. On 2 June I reached Loch Lomond and follow that for next day or two.
I've met a man from Edinburgh Uni, originally from Hull, who's doing several marathons back to back to raise money for a children's hospice in Edinburgh. It's another reminder that there's a lot of poorly children who need our support. I gave him all my change. And his support vehicle people gave me some sponsorship too. Where's my support vehicle? Oh yes - it's on my back!
Well done to John for completing the 100 mile in 48 hours challenge - I knew you'd do it, you didn't have me to slow you down ;o)
A coal man doing a delivery to John O'Groats offered me lift - tempting...but I said no thank you.
My diary order might be bit muddled; I can't remember much about previous days, in fact I can hardly remember the start at all! Here's a few more pictures to show you where I've been:

You two are not sharing my tent! Rach and Jack came to see me :o)


Guess where this is?

Fabulous views

Hadrian's Wall won't stop me

A well earned cuppa!

Poser!

Thingy Force in Teesdale


Thank you for supporting Leukaemia and Lymphoma Research

Still smiling in the rain

Just about to leave Horton in Ribblesdale

Tan Hill - highest pub in Yorkshire - where my tent nearly blew away

Just a few more county boundaries to go!

No comments:

Post a Comment