Tuesday 14 June 2011

Somewhere in the middle of nowhere

This is the bleakest part of the walk so far. I'm in the middle of miles of marshy ground. There are hills and a forest in the distance where I hope to find some dry land to camp on. There's no civilisation for forty miles from Helmsdale to the place on the coast tomorrow - I've forgotten its name. Then I head east towards John O'Groats. I've added twenty miles to my route going this way but I'd had enough of walking along the A9.
I stayed in a B&B last night because the weather was so bad and the Youth Hostel was taken up by a large party. It was good to have a bath for a change. There's lots of people on bikes doing LEJOG in two weeks (they do about 70 miles per day, I do about 20 on average). This is my ninth week, which is what I expected, so far so good. So, fingers crossed, I'll be at the top tip of the UK at the weekend.
Please keep donating and pass the message on: www.justgiving.com/andyroberts3 Thank you to everyone who's donated, it's all going to vital Leukaemia and Lymphoma Research in memory of James Neal, a very brave young man.
Last year in Scotland on the LDWA 100 miler

The hills are alive...

moors the merrier

oh look - it's raining again!
I

No comments:

Post a Comment